The delegation from the AMB comprising of the Chairman, Dr Kessawa Payandi Pillay and the General Manager, Mr A Shameem Jeehoo proceeded on mission to India between 10 to 15 July 2017.
The major objectives of the mission were:
- To consolidate our international relationship with existing contacts / suppliers;
- To develop new promising contacts with other potential suppliers of agricultural produce in line with our Food Security strategies; and
- To meet suppliers of processing equipment for value addition to the products dealt by AMB.
Outcome of the Mission
- Ties have been strengthened with the main Indian authorities responsible for the registration of suppliers and export of agricultural produce namely the Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA), the Consulate in Mumbai, the Mauritius High Commission in Delhi, National Cooperative Union of India (NCUI), National Agricultural Co-operative Marketing Federation of India Ltd (NAFED), National Center of Organic Farming (NCOF), Maharashtra Agricultural Produce Market Committee (MAPMC), Maharashtra State Agricultural Marketing Board, (MSAMB) and National Horticultural Research & Development Foundation (NHRDF), that is, most of the major stakeholders in the agricultural sector in India
- The AMB has established contacts with new potential suppliers dealing in fruits, spices, onion, potato, garlic and other agricultural commodities.
- Emphasis was put on the possibility of using Mauritius as a safe platform for trade and re-export towards African markets.